- Weight: 2% of course grade
- Grading Rubric
What do you think are the pros and cons of local exhaust ventilation systems and general dilution ventilation systems? Provide at least one example of an occupational setting where you have seen a general dilution ventilation system effectively reduce exposures and one example of an occupational setting where you have seen a general dilution ventilation system not provide effective reduction of exposure requiring a local exhaust ventilation system to be installed.Your journal entry must be at least 200 words in length. No references or citations are necessary
- Weight: 10% of course grade
- Grading Rubric
This assignment will consist of two parts. Both parts will be compiled into the same document for submission.
Part I: Thus far at Acme Automotive Parts (AAP), you have determined that controls are required in the paint booths, at the hand-welding stations, and on the machining lines. You have also determined that you cannot substitute any alternate chemicals in these areas because of requirements from your clients. You decide to use general dilution ventilation for the machining lines and local exhaust ventilation systems for the paint booths and the hand-welding stations. Complete the following tasks.
For the general dilution ventilation used in the machining lines:
- Discuss why you believe a general ventilation system is appropriate for this operation.
- State where you would you place the fans associated with the ventilation system.
- Explain how you would test the effectiveness of the ventilation system.
For the local exhaust ventilation systems:
- Describe the local exhaust ventilations (LEVs) you would use for each area (paint booths and hand-welding stations).
- Choose a hood type for each of the two LEVs.
- Calculate the flow rate that would be required if you placed the LEV for the welding operation 24 in. from the weld and desired a capture velocity of 100 ft per minute (ft/min) given W=12 in. and L=24 in. for any of the three hood types.
- Discuss any barriers you might face in implementing the use of the LEVs for these two operations.
Part II: You also determined that engineering controls are needed for the hydraulic press area.
- Discuss some types of engineering controls that might be implemented for the hydraulic press area.
- Describe the information you might require prior to designing engineering controls for the hydraulic press area.
- Explain how you would evaluate the effectiveness of the engineering controls for this area.
Your assignment must be a minimum of two pages in length, not including title or reference pages. Your assignment must use at least two references. One must be gathered from the CSU Online Library, and the other may be your textbook. All citations and in-text citations must be formatted according to APA standards.