i need the same essay
Essay Questio n
- The United states saw waves of immigration and several changes in immigration law from the mid-1860s to the late 20th century.
Requirements for the Signature Essay
- Must be in Rule of Three format with a introduction and strong thesis statement, 3 paragraphs of the body (each with their own thesis statement – one for each of the three key points of your overall thesis), and conclusion. So a minimum of 5 paragraphs.
- This is a fact based essay, you must provide specific and detailed evidence for your hypotheses.
- You must utilize a minimum of three primary sources from the assigned materials as evidence in your essay
- You must utilize a minimum of three secondary sources from the assigned materials as evidence in your essay
- You may only use materials assigned in this course for your essay (we have vetted all the materials utilized in this course, other materials may not be appropriate or accurate)
- DO NOT quote secondary sources
- You may briefly quote a primary source (a phrase or a sentence) before immediately analyzing the relevance of the quote – a quote cannot stand alone as explanation or evidence
- You must consider change over time in this essay
- You must consider ethics/ethical decision making in this essay
- You must consider change over time in this essay
- Don’t forget about geography, where something takes place matters and it may be important to your argument.
- You must use Turabian citation style in this essay; all citations must be footnote style citations (no parenthetical cites allowed, no endnotes/works cited at the end, you need footnotes). Be sure to review how to properly cite a primary source that may be contained in another work and be sure to use page numbers where possible.
- 12 pt type, 1 inch margins, double-spaced
How the Assignment is Graded
The assignment is worth up to 100 points. The following factors are taken into account when we grade:
RULE OF THREE THESES – Do you have a well thought out and clear overall thesis in your introduction? Do you have a thesis statement for each of your three paragraphs of the body? Do the paragraphs of the body follow the overall thesis statement?
EVIDENCE – You must have solid evidence for each point you raise in the thesis. Evidence is not simply a statement, there must be an explanation of how that evidence supports the thesis statement. Example: If you were writing a paragraph on the causes of the Cold War, you might use the Baruch Plan as an example. Simply writing “the Baruch Plan was a cause of the Cold War” in your paragraph would not be enough and would not be analytical. However, the following sentences do provide a good analysis of this piece of evidence:”One cause of the Cold War was the failure of the United States and the Soviet Union to agree upon a plan for nuclear disarmament after World War II. The Baruch Plan, presented by the US, would maintain the American atomic weapon advantage for the foreseeable future. This played into Stalin’s suspicions of the Americans’ true motivations toward the USSR.”Did you use the minimum number of primary sources? secondary sources?
HISTORICAL ACCURACY, CLARITY, AND LOGIC
Is your argument clear and does it make sense? Is it historically accurate? Does your evidence prove your point? Does your analysis answer the prompt? Have you considered change over time and geographic differences in your essay?
Have you properly cited? Have you used Turabian/Chicago? You must also FOOTNOTE. Parenthetical cites are NOT allowed.
GRAMMAR, SPELLING AND MECHANICS
Is the essay up to college standards for grammar and spelling? Is it an analytical essay? Does it meet minimum length and formatting requirements?
PROMPT: The United States saw waves of immigration and several changes in immigration law from the mid-1860s to the late 20th century. Discuss the impact immigration, immigration laws, and the backlash to immigration had on the social and economic development of the United States. Consider ethical arguments and civics in your discussion of immigration and reaction to immigration. Also analyze change over time in your response.
Hint: Think broadly here as you scattershoot/concept map your essay before writing. Start making a list of immigration related facts and primary sources to use in your response. Consider the impact of laws contracting and expanding immigration. Consider who the immigrants were in the various waves, where they went when they arrived in the US, and what they did when they got there. Consider also how immigrants influenced American society and culture and also why there was often a backlash to immigrants. Once you have jotted down your facts, choose the strongest points and supporting evidence to write your essay, making sure you address the prompt fully. Be sure to consider evidence from the entire time period of the prompt in your essay.
Hint 2: Make sure that you integrate your discussion of Change over Time and Ethics/Civics throughout your analysis, not just in one paragraph. This means that Change over Time and Ethics/Civics WILL NOT be key points in your rule of three thesis statement.