cultural diversity 7
This week you will examine how to be a patient advocate for all individuals, particularly those who are from a different culture than your own.
- First, consider an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your own nursing practiceâ€”choose one that was caused by a misunderstanding between people from different cultures. Describe that situation clearly. (feel free to make up a situation, or maybe use vaccines. I once faced a Spanish speaking family who was poorly educated on the use of vaccines and the benefits, they believed we were just injecting chemicals into the body that would give them cancer and that they were too expensive. they did not understand that their insurance would pay for the vaccine and the vaccines themselves were in the long run life saving measures)
- How did each group or individual perceive the dilemma? (Present both sides, objectively.)
- Identify the conflicting values and belief systems held by each group. (Spanish culture tends to have limited funds and means to education….that could go along with my vaccine incident) …but truly feel free to write what ever
- What data was missingâ€”what information did the health care providers not have about the patientâ€™s culture?
- Next, define culturally congruent care.
APA format, strong introduction and concluding paragraph. 4 references, one being from the book. 600 words.
BOOK: Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care, 7th ed, 2016
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.