Case Study on Death and Dying
The practice of health care providers at all levels brings you into contact with people from a variety of faiths. This calls for knowledge and acceptance of a diversity of faith expressions.
The purpose of this paper is to complete a comparative ethical analysis of George’s situation and decision from the perspective of two worldviews or religions: Christianity and a second religion of your choosing. For the second faith, choose a faith that is unfamiliar to you. Examples of faiths to choose from include Sikh, Baha’i, Buddhism, Shintoism, etc.
In your comparative analysis, address all of the worldview questions in detail for Christianity and your selected faith. Once you have outlined the worldview of each religion, begin your ethical analysis from each perspective.
- What is prime reality?
- What is the nature of the world around you?
- What is a human being?
- What happens to a person at death?
- Why is it possible to know anything at all?
- How do people know what is right or wrong?
- What is the meaning of human history?
The analysis answers all seven questions thoughtfully and in a detailed manner. The analysis thoroughly explains the interconnection of the questions and their implications.
In a minimum of 1,500-2,000 words, provide an ethical analysis based upon the different belief systems, reinforcing major themes with insights gained from your research, and answering the following questions based on the research:
- How would each religion interpret the nature of George’s malady and suffering? Is there a “why” to his disease and suffering? (i.e., is there a reason for why George is ill, beyond the reality of physical malady?)
- In George’s analysis of his own life, how would each religion think about the value of his life as a person, and value of his life with ALS?
- What sorts of values and considerations would each religion focus on in deliberating about whether or not George should opt for euthanasia?
- Given the above, what options would be morally justified under each religion for George and why?
- Finally, present and defend your own view.
Several possible definitions of the term spirituality, including from the text, are clearly articulated and distinguished. Description of how spirituality is broadly defined in the context of scientism and postmodernism is provided and clearly demonstrates a grasp of the meaning of these concepts.
A total of SIX references are required according to the specifications listed above. Incorporate the research into your writing in an appropriate, scholarly manner.
Thesis and/or main claim are comprehensive. The essence of the paper is contained within the thesis. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide,