1 04 denotations and connotations
You will choose synonyms to replace the bold words in the sentences provided below.
You will then write to explain why you chose these particular synonyms.
Provide a document with both old sentence and new sentence.
However, in a year that saw the social networking juggernaut Facebook turn a profit for only the first time, it was not clear whether Twitter could achieve financial independence from its venture capital investors.
Synonym = powerhouse
Explanation: I chose the word powerhouse, because the original word, “juggernaut” indicates that that Facebook forcefully took over the social networking industry. I wanted to use a word to indicate powerful success.
- Having demonstrated its versatility as a high-tech newswire, Twitter drew the attention of those who would prefer to see certain information suppressed.
- Millions of users attempted to log into Twitter only to be greeted by the service’s iconic “fail whale,” the image of a cartoon whale being hoisted into the air by a flock of birds, signaling a site outage.
- Following the earthquake that struck Haiti in January 2010, Twitter reaffirmed its role as a powerful tool for the dissemination of information.
- Additionally, it became an effective fund-raising platform, when the Red Cross launched a mobile giving campaign that surpassed all expectations.
- High-profile users tweeted about the drive to help victims of the earthquake, and many of their followers tweeted and re-tweeted the message, helping the Red Cross raise more than $8 million through text messaging within 48 hours of the quake.